Local fundraising example:
Deusi Bhailo during Tihar festival

Main characteristics

Fundraising method
Awareness raising, Festival / fair


Net fin result (€)


Time investment
On average 2 days for all those involved

Deusi Bhailo dancing during Tihar festival
The dancers receive gifts in cash and kind
Daycare Dhading
OrganisationSiddha Samaz Sewa Nepal (SSSN)
Funding needed forThe Early Childhood Development centres in Dhading
Period of actionFrom the 3rd day of Tihar festival called Laxmi Puja and can be run for 12 days but usually organised for 3 days
In-kind donations raisedYes: maize, rice, paddy, salt, turmeric, chili, fruit, wine
Types of donationsCash and in-kind
Types of donorsCommunity people, teachers, shopkeepers, well-wishers


With the financial support of Stichting Veldwerk the Netherlands Siddha Samaz Sewa Nepal (SSSN) has built several early childhood development centres in Siddhalek rural community, Dhading district. 55% of the running costs are still being covered by the Dutch partner, but SSSN is responsible for raising the remaining 45%. One of their fundraising activities is the yearly Deusi Bhailo programme during Tihar festival, when members dance and sing to collect money and gifts in kind.

Tips and lessons learned

1. Raising funds during an important festival is always a good idea. People who celebrate are more generous.
2. An additional advantage is that you can bring your work to the attention of a large audience.
3. When you decide to perform yourself, in an event with a lot of competition, you have to be good or you won't raise funds. In that case you'd better find a good group willing to do benefit performances on your behalf.

Review by Wilde Ganzen Foundation

A joyous occasion like a festival is always a good time to raise funds. And who doesn't love singing and dancing? A Dheusi Bhailo programme is therefore bound to be successful. And it was! SSSN received 100 donations, half of them from new donors. A very strong point of this acticvity was that all participants volunteered, so there were no expenses, only revenues.


Short description of the organisation the funds were raised for
Siddha Samaz Sewa Nepal (SSSN) is registered as an NGO in the District Administration Office of Kathmandu. Its working area is located in Dhading District, Siddhalek rural municipality (formerly Nalang, Salang and Kumpur municipality). It has been running projects with the financial support of Stichting Veldwerk the Netherlands (SVN). SSSN is concentrating on projects in health, education and income generation through different activities, such as a health centre, early childhood development centre, goat keeping, bee keeping, mushroom farming, coffee farming, health camps, etc. 55% of the running costs of the early childhood development centre are currently being covered by the funding organisation and the remaining 45% of the necessary funds must be managed by the local management committee and community, through different projects and activities. The 'Deusi Bhailo' programme is one of the activities to generate local funds.

Short description of the project or programme the funds were raised for
Deusi Bhailo Programme is organised once a year during Tihar. Tihar is one of the major festivals of Nepal (nowadays it is also known as 'festival of lights'). During Tihar people gather and enjoy themselves with dancing and singing in the community. Those performing in the communities during the festival receive gifts in cash and food items. Traditionally it is believed that during the month of Tihar, people should present gifts to others according to their capacity. People give money, maize, rice, paddy, salt, turmeric, chili, fruit, etc. and in some communities, depending on ethnicity, local liquor is presented too. SSSN organised this Deusi Bhailo programme where members are dancing and singing as a local fund generation programme for the Early Childhood Development projects and members of the community are giving gifts in cash as part of the income generating programme. The day centres in Dhading provide free non-formal education for 6 days a week. Each centre has room for 25 children, between 2 and 5 years old. The teachers have followed a course in Early Childhood Development and an intensive follow-up course from the Early Childhood Education Centre. During this training, the teacher learned to teach in a creative and interactive way, instead of the famous “parrot” method often used in Nepal. In addition to the teacher, there is also a guard and helper (cook-didi) working at each centre. The cook-didi prepares a nutritious lunch ('tiffin') for the children every day. This lunch is a good basis for the growth and development of the children. Ultimately, this will also benefit school results, a child cannot learn on an empty stomach. Moreover, it is a good motivator for the poor families to send their child to school. Regardless of the successes already achieved, it is always a challenge to make all parents aware of the importance of education.

Summary of fundraising action
In order to generate income members of the organisation gather and perform dancing and singing in the houses of various communities. During the performance, traditional musical instruments are used. Groups who can sing and perform well, stand a better chance to receive gifts, so talented groups are in high demand.

1. To entertain the people and inform them about the project objectives.
2. To assure that funds are generated at the local level for the school.
3. To meet the target of contributing 45% of the running costs at the local level.

Targeted donors
Local people, teachers, school management committee, leaders of the community, shops, community local clubs


Cost/benefitNational currency (NPR)Euro
Total amount raised45,000358
(-) Total amount invested00
Net amount raised45,000358

Result comments
Awareness in the community about the ECD centre

Description of preparatory work
• Discussion about and planning of the programme
• Management of required materials, work division
• Description of where, when and how to perform activities

Description of implementation
As the Early Childhood Development Centres are an ongoing activity within the communities, it is important that members of the communities are aware of these centres and feel involved in their continued existence. The Deusi Bhailo programme is organised to strenghten their emotional attachment with the centre which is located in their community. Community people, guardians of pupils, teachers, staff of the organisation, board members, come together to discuss and plan the Deusi Bhailo programme and perform activities to receive funds for the organisation.

Plans to repeat the action
Yes, next year there will also be a Deusi Bhailo programme to raise funds for the work of SSSN.

Read moreBack to overview